Close Support And Experienced Advice For
Personal Legal Matters

Educating Texas Parents On State Child Support Guidelines

Parents in Texas have a legal obligation to financially support their children until they are legal adults. However, when you and your spouse or partner are no longer together, caring for your children – particularly when paying for their food, housing and health care – can come with added challenges.

Determining the amount of child support you and your ex will pay can be complicated. However, at our firm, attorney Danielle Campbell can help you advocate for your needs and interests when it comes to paying child support in Montgomery County. She also can help ensure the amount for you to pay or receive every month is reasonable.

How Does Texas Calculate Child Support?

Texas has a specific formula for determining how much each parent pays in child support. The formula accounts for factors like the individual net income of each parent and the number of children they have. Noncustodial spouses typically pay a certain percentage of their income to the other spouse as part of their child support obligations. For example, if you are a noncustodial parent and you and your ex only have one child, you’ll pay 20% of your net monthly income toward child support.

Income percentages can vary based on how many children you and your ex have together. These percentages are found in Title 5 of the Texas State Family Code.

Is Child Support Exclusive To Divorced Couples?

Paying child support is not exclusive to divorced couples. The Lone Star State recognizes the need for parents to pay and receive child support regardless of their marital status.

Do You Have To Pay Spousal Support On Top Of Child Support?

Yes, you can. However, it depends. It’s rare for spouses in Texas to obtain spousal support as part of a divorce settlement.

When Can You Request Modifications To Your Child Support Payments?

There may be a time when you request an increase in the amount you receive or a decrease in the amount you owe. Here are a few examples of when you may choose to do either:

Request To Receive More

You may do this when:

  • Your living costs increase.
  • Your ex gets a significant raise or promotion at their job.
  • You lose your job or take an involuntary pay cut.
  • Your child experiences a significant health issue.
  • Your child joins extracurricular activities.

Request To Pay Less

You may do this when:

  • You lose your job or have to take another job for less money.
  • You learn that your ex is cohabitating with another partner or has recently remarried.
  • You discover your ex got a significant raise or promotion at their job.

We can help you advocate for an increase in what you owe or a decrease in what you pay in child support. Making these requests to a judge can be challenging. However, with 18 years of experience, our attorney knows what it takes to make a persuasive case for your child support needs.

Consult With A Qualified Montgomery County Family Lawyer Today

Having a solid knowledge of the laws governing child support in Texas is crucial. When you work with our legal team at Danielle M. Campbell, Attorney at Law, PLLC, we can give you the knowledge and you can determine how to use it. Once you have an end goal in mind, we can advise you on how to pursue it effectively.

Schedule an initial consultation today by calling us at 839-895-7122 or completing our contact form.